The Co-operative’s primary aims include:
- Provide encouragement to people interested in beekeeping either as hobbyists or on a commercial basis;
- Provide a forum for exchange of knowledge on the local flora, its importance as a source of nectar and pollen for bees;
- Provide for the selling and marketing of Gower branded honey products (which adhere as far as possible to organic standards) on a cooperative basis;
- Provide facilities for the extraction, filtering and bottling of locally produced honey in hygienic conditions which meet governmental production requirements.
The secondary aims include:
- To promote the well-being of residents by providing an interesting and productive pastime;
- Facilitating training and continuing education and development in collaboration with local organisations able to deliver training courses in compliance with national and UK wide standards;
- To promote co-operative principles;
- To encourage the exchange of home grown produce;
- To participate with and support like-minded organisations in the locality such as farm shops, community owned shops and farmer markets;
- To contribute to the control and eradication of bee diseases;
- To improve wild flower and crop fertilisation;
- To encourage the selection of desirable attributes (eg docility and low inclination to swarm) when exchanging queens or nucleus exchange;
- Provide a forum for the exchange of ideas and new developments in beekeeping.
Would you like to get involved in any way?